Monday, April 29, 2013

Farewell Lucasfilm


I knew I wanted to paint this ever since I learned about the Ahsoka's story arc months ago.  For those who seen Star Wars: The Clone Wars over the few seasons, we learn that Ahsoka Tano and Barriss Offee are good friends.  They've had a few adventures together, and work greatly as a team. So for my silly art piece I wanted to create a BFF feel, where they are taking silly photos at a photobooth, portraying their friendship.  

I photoshopped my hand to look like its Ahsoka.  The "photo" is a watercolor painting.


However, after the announcement of Star Wars: The Clone Wars ceasing production (after season 5), I no longer wanted this piece to be a silly/funny one, but to be a tribute to the show, and for everyone who has worked on it over the years.  Learning that most of us will be laid off meant we would be leaving our family here at Lucasfilm Animation, was a heartbreak for us all.

I felt the timing was appropriate, and decided to tie in the last story arc about Ahsoka of season 5 to what was going on at Lucasfilm Animation.

*****WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!!!!*****

At the very last episode of Star Wars: The Clone Wars, we learn that Barriss Offee betrayed the Jedi order after framing Ahsoka for the bombing, which had her kicked out of the Jedi Order.   When the truth is revealed (thanks to Anakin), and the real bad guy is caught, the Jedi Order asks her to come back.  However, said goodbye to her master, and walks off into the sunset.

I created this piece reminding myself and my fellow co-workers to be happy for the time , opportunity and memories at Lucasfilm Animation, and to not be sad that it ended.  Just as Ahsoka and Barriss had their friendship, I'm sure they had fond memories before the betrayal.  

I am grateful to have worked with such amazing and talented people at Lucasfilm Animation for the past 5 seasons.   I will miss my family there, and will hold positive memories in my heart as I move forward in my life.


No comments: